By Landan Kuhlmann
If you see someone in government garb outside your home next week, it’s likely an appraiser from the Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD).
A news release from HCAD said the county will have between 50–100 appraisers in hundreds of Houston-area neighborhoods every day beginning Thursday. The appraisers will be there verifying property characteristics, changes in the neighborhood condition and other data for 2021 home valuation process.
“While this project happens every year at this time, most people were not aware of it because they were away at work,” HCAD Chief Appraiser Roland Altinger said. “We are notifying residents this year because more people are working from their homes.”
HCAD offered the following tips for identifying whether the person on a resident’s property is working on behalf of the office:
– Appraisers will never ask to enter the house or for the property owner to accompany them to the backyard.
– Will knock on the front door to alert the resident they are on the property, identify themselves as an HCAD appraiser, and ask permission to measure the home and any other structures on the property. If access is denied, the appraiser will leave the property and estimate the size and characteristics from the street. If the property owner is not home, the appraiser will measure the sections of the structures that are accessible without entering a gate.
– Appraisers may appear at property owners’ doors as early as 7:45 a.m. but no later than 5:15 p.m.
– They will wear a blue jacket or vest with the HCAD emblem on the front and HCAD Appraiser on the back and carry an identification badge with his or her picture, name and unique appraiser number.
– Appraisers work from their own personal vehicle that has a magnetic sign attached identifying the appraiser as an HCAD employee.
To verify the individual working in their neighborhood is an HCAD appraiser, community members can contact the HCAD office at 713-812-5800. More information about appraisals can be found at www.hcad.org under the appraisals tab.