Even as the city and region continues to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, Houston residents could soon begin seeing more people out on the streets.
Mayor Sylvester Turner announced last week that city officials will begin allowing a limited number of city-sponsored special events, provided the organizers follow COVID-19 health and safety protocols such as social distancing.
Moving forward, the Houston Health Department and Mayor’s Office of Special Events will jointly review all event requests. Controlled venues must limit attendance to 25 percent of their normal capacity while also ensuring attendees wear masks and socially distance. Each person will also be temperature checked and be required to answer a COVID-19 questionnaire upon arrival before being allowed to enter the venue.
“As the pandemic has changed our lives, it has changed how we gather,” Turner said in a news release. “However, we know that there are opportunities to stage social events if they follow current health and safety guidelines and requirements.”
Three events already have been approved. The Houston Texans hosted a drive-in tailgate last Thursday, Sept. 10 with attendance limited to 100 vehicles, while the Houston Symphony will host performances with a maximum capacity of 150 attendees. Meanwhile, the Houston Dash and Dynamo soccer teams will soon host home games at less than 25 percent capacity at BBVA Compass Stadium.
“I firmly believe that if we all do our part, we can be successful,” said Dr. David Persse with the Houston Health Department. “Promoters need to do their part along with the attending public.”